Call for Scores
Since its inception in 2005, San Francisco Choral Artists’ New Voices Project for composers under age 30 has solicited and performed original compositions with the objective of promoting the composition of high-quality music for chamber choir by the next generation of composers. The invitation is now open for the 2014-15 season.
The first prize winner receives a $500 cash prize, and all winners receive a professional-quality recording of the performance.
The 2014–15 Competition: For our June concert set entitled Old Masters, Young Prodigies, we seek a new, unperformed, and creative work on the themes of youth and age. Submissions must be postmarked by Feb. 15, 2015.
- Composer must be under age 30 as of January 1, 2015, and a USA resident.
- Composer is responsible for obtaining relevant rights to use copyrighted material.
- Each composer may submit up to three works.
Requirements of the Work
- Up to 4 minutes in length; list the length on the score.
- The work may not have had prior public performance or recording, nor may one take place before July 1, 2015.
- For SATB a cappella chamber choir. May include some body percussion; divisi to 8 parts or fewer.
- The work should address the required theme. Explanation may be included if necessary.
- Text may include spoken word, and may be in any language. A typed copy of the full original text, with facing line-by-line English translation, must be provided. If non-standard language(s) are used, a pronunciation guide must be included.
- Include a note with your text stating if it is in the public domain or not. If texts are copyrighted, written proof of permission of use must be provided.
- Score and texts should be submitted in PDF form. MP3 files will be accepted in addition to scores; mp3 file name should include Composer’s name.
- Composer’s name, birth date, and complete composer contact information–including USPS postal address–should be printed on each score.
Up to three winners will be selected. The first-prize winner will receive $500. All composer(s) and work(s) selected for participation in this program will receive the following:
- The selected work(s) will be premiered by SFCA at three subscription series concerts in the San Francisco Bay Area, California.
- One or more phone consultations with SFCA’s Artistic Director, Magen Solomon, on vocal and performance issues, and in order to prepare the work for rehearsal and premiere.
- Two complimentary tickets for each performance of the work.
- A professional-quality recording of one performance of the work.
- We regret that no travel funds are available.
Submissions, with score and text(s) attached in PDF form, should be date-stamped by February 15, 2015, and emailed with covering email to NewVoices@sfca.org. Incomplete submissions will NOT be considered.
NEW VOICES WINNERS:
1st Place: David Von Kampen, Lincoln, NE
Co-2nd Place: Natalie Bell, Raleigh, NC
Co-2nd Place: Kevin Laskey, Coram, NY
Honorable Mention: Joseph Taff
No submissions qualified for awards
1st Place: Katherine Saxon, Santa Barbara, CA
2nd Place: Daniel Galbreath, Laramie, WY
No submissions qualified for awards
1st Place: Patrick Gullo, East Lansing, MI
2nd Place: Colin Woodford, Granada Hills, CA
3rd Place: Zina von Bozzay, San Rafael, CA
1st Place: Eleanor Aversa, Philadelphia, PA
2nd Place: Nick Vasallo, Santa Cruz, CA
3rd Place: Winton Yuichiro White, San Francisco, CA
1st Place: Kala Pierson, New York, NY
2nd Place: David Philip Norris, Minneapolis, MN
3rd Place: Nathan Heidelberger, Oberlin, OH
1st Place: Peter J. Durow, Tallahassee, FL
2nd Place: Jamie Klenetsky, Wharton, NJ
Honorable Mention: Benjamin J. Williams, Akron, OH
1st Place: Matthew Van Brink, New York, NY
1st Place: Cheng Zhi Anna Huang, Los Angeles CA
2nd Place: Eric Knechtges, Bowling Green, OH
3nd Place: Ted Hearne, New York, NY