Paul Chihara has composed scores for more than 100 motion picture films and television, founded the UCLA Visual Media graduate program, and teaches Film Scoring at NYU. He received his doctorate from Cornell University, and also studied with Nadia Boulanger, Ernst Pepping, and Gunther Schuller. He was composer in residence at SF Ballet from 1973 to 1986, and has received the Fulbright and Guggenheim awards, and commissions from the Boston Symphony Orchestra, the London Philharmonic, Juilliard Ensemble, and numerous others.
Join Our Mailing List
We’ll keep you informed about our upcoming events.
The SFCA Blog
- Kirke Mechem: Eight Decades of Choral Composition
- Lassus, Led Zeppelin, and Ligeti: Composer Kevin Laskey’s Unique Art of Blended Genres
- Composer James May on Ireland and Innovation
- Without a Flinch, Composer Ted Hearne Confronts Social Issues
- 30 Years With SFCA: Q&A With Assistant Conductor Tina Harrington
- Trains and Traffic Inspire SFCA New Voices Project 2020 Winners
- The Spiritual “Alchemy” of Psalm 104
- Spice and Magic: Alexis Alrich’s Subtle Latin American Flavors