With Strings Attached
Two of the Bay Area’s most beloved and wide-ranging chamber ensembles came together for the first time in May 2011. The Choral Artists collaborated with The Alexander String Quartet in new compositions for chamber choir and string quartet. This landmark program was captured in a recording by Grammy-winning producer Judith Sherman, released in 2012.
On this stunning program are major new commissioned works by Paul Seiko Chihara, Michael Gandolfi, and Veronika Krausas, and Stephen Leek. Brahms Quartets Opus 92 in a new transcription for choir and quartet; Beethoven’s Elegischer Gesang; and the additional works noted below.
- Language of the Birds*, for narrator, choir & string quartet, Veronika Krausas
- Hollow Stone*, for a cappella choir, Stephen Leek.
- Quartets, Op. 92, Johannes Brahms, originally scored for mixed voices & piano, transcribed by Zakarias Grafilo, Alexander String Quartet, for choir and string quartet.
- Elegiac Song (Elegischer Gesang) (Sanft wie du lebtest) for 4 voices & string quartet, Op. 118, Ludwig van Beethoven.
- Winter Light*, for choir & string quartet, Michael Gandolfi.
- Ballade in D major, Op. 10/2, Johannes Brahms, originally scored for piano, transcribed by Zakarias Grafilo for string quartet.
- Intermezzo in A major, Op. 118/2, Johannes Brahms, for piano, transcribed by Zakarias Grafilo for string quartet.
- Clair de Lune*, for choir & string quartet, Paul Chihara.
*These works commissioned by San Francisco Choral Artists.